A ridiculously good-looking Japanese tape echo – serviced and fitted with new custom tape loops, this five head echo sounds as good as it looks. With three switchable replay heads...Read more
A ridiculously good-looking Japanese tape echo – a Hawk HE-2150A 5-Head Echo Unit fully serviced and in great condition.
Mid-seventies Japanese manufacturer Hawk Technical Works Co Ltd put out a range of tape echoes and spring reverbs branded Hawk/Mirano aimed squarely at domestic home recordists. We were immediately intrigued on first sighting the Hawk HE-2150 open reel style tape echo: even if it sounded bad, it was one of the coolest tape echoes we’d seen. Classic clean seventies hifi styling and backlit vu meter below twin aluminium spools spinning behind the translucent smoked (aubergine!) plastic dust-cover; adds a dose of classic Bond villain lair to any studio…
It doesn’t just look cool: serviced and fitted with new custom tape loops, this five head echo sounds as good as it looks. With three switchable replay heads - Off, Super-Repeat (at 0db), Repeat & Swell (at -6db) - and controls for tape speed, input level (for echo and dry signal), echo level/repeat/tone and master output - this is a full-featured tape echo. The sound is somewhat classier than the contemporary Ace Tone EC-20 - with which it shares a similar feature set - especially when driven into self-oscillation; this is yet another distinct flavour of tape echo - flexible and with a very pleasing sound quality indeed.
We landed a selection of these vintage Japanese machines recently – read all about them in our Hawk/Mirano tape echo and spring reverb blog post.
Here's a quick demo of the HE-2150 we posted to our Instagram:
Condition: very good overall condition, serviced and working well, minor scuffs and nicks/tears in the tolex.
Price includes VAT at 20% (for sales in UK/EU) - buyers outside the EU please contact us for tax-free prices. VAT-free sales possible to businesses and individuals in the EU with a valid VAT Number.
- It is a 100v Japanese model and needs to be run at 100v only
- A step-down transformer is required for use on North American or European supplies..
- We do not recommend using cheap generic Chinese mains transformers - for 220/240v mains we can supply a high quality UK-made unit if required; for use on 120v supplies we recommend a converter like this.
Some of our gear will have VAT at 20% added in the UK/EU, but a lot of it won't. This should hopefully clarify the situation but if you have any questions then please get in touch.
ITEMS WITH VAT:
- These items will have two prices visible: with and without the tax.
- If you are buying in the UK/EU you will receive an invoice showing the tax component.
- If you are buying these items outside the EU when you get to the check out and enter your shipping location you will be charged the ex-VAT price.
- VAT-free sales are also possible to businesses within the EU with a valid VAT number. You will need to contact us in order to buy via this means.
ITEMS WITHOUT VAT:
- Much of what we sell is classified as "Second Hand Goods" and so while we still pay some tax, there is no recoverable/deductible component for sales to any part of the world.
- So, the price you see is the price you pay wherever you are.
- Shipping charges are also subject to VAT at 20% within the UK/EU - this is included within the prices you see for shipping to those areas - it is not shown separately in the cart but will be shown on the VAT invoice you receive with your goods.
We are very experienced at packing and shipping valuable and sensitive gear worldwide. Binson Echorecs, large valve amps, vintage synths, rare racks, and even a CS-80 or two - you name it, we've sent it and it has arrived in one piece and ready to play.
SHIPPING DISCOUNT ON MULTIPLE ITEMS:
We keep it simple: if you buy more than one item you only pay the shipping on the item that has the highest shipping cost. This is the same no matter how many items you buy together (so the more you buy together, the bigger your shipping discount). If you check all the items out all together this will be calculated automatically at checkout. However, if you make an order and then wish to add to it before it ships please get in touch and we will refund the shipping on the item(s) that are cheaper to ship.
The shipping prices for our gear vary considerably depending on the type of gear, value and destination. To see shipping costs put the item you are interested in the cart and then either use the shipping estimator or go into the check out process. Or just contact us and we'll tell you what you need to know.
Obviously from time to time with vintage items there are times when gear arrives in need of some adjustment or calibration, and some times a piece of gear that was working 100% just chooses the day after arriving for a new fault to develop - however, having been dealing with sensitive vintage gear for many years, we are also very experienced at dealing with these occurrences and will always work with you to solve the problem.
Note that we have have not entered automatic shipping for every country. The countries we ship to most often will have shipping rates and we are in the process of adding more shipping fees to the check out process. But if you are looking at an item that doesn't have the fee information you need then please use the contact page or call on +44 1773 856475.
Which carriers do we use?
We usually use Royal Mail, UPS and DPD/Interlink - it depends on the item and destination as to which is the most economical. If you have a preference then we should be able to accommodate it (but we may need to pass on any additional costs)