Brand: Mica Sonic
OK, so this is a thing. We bought it because it was clearly an peculiar and uncommon bit of gear; we'd never seen one before and the gear geeks in us needed to ...Read more
OK, so this is a thing. We bought it because it was clearly an peculiar and uncommon bit of gear; we'd never seen one before and the gear geeks in us needed to get it even if it didn't work. It has no manufacturer's information but we are now certain that it was made in Japan in the (probably) early 70s by Mica Sonic who made drum kits in the that period.
It's basic. It's got plastic wood-effect laminate. It's definitely pretty niche. But we really like it and so we've kept it for our studio (at least for a while). Battery powered, it has two congas, two bongos and a woodblock with an on/off "mute" control for each (takes the basic reverb off the sound), and a master volume control. Each pad just has a simple piezo pick up but there is a a reasonable amount of sensetivity that allows a range of volume - it needs to be played with sticks, ideally rubber ended.
The only information we've found about it being used is allegedly on Anne Peebles' version of "I Can't Stand the Rain", and certainly after playing with this set once we got it back from the tech, there is a definite sonic similarity.
Sonically? Yes, it is basic, but like a lot of these odd, quirky pieces it has a certain "something". And with it not coming from the 70s Acetone/Roland or Maestro 70s ranges you have sounds which are different to other electronic drums of the period. The congas have a pleasing boom to them, the woodblock is snappy, electronic and sharp, and if you hit pads together something overloads and you get a great electronic stab of sound.
We're on the trail of more of these so if you are interested in one, or have one unused and needing a home, please get in touch.
Some of our gear will have VAT at 20% added in the UK/EU, but a lot of it won't. This should hopefully clarify the situation but if you have any questions then please get in touch.
ITEMS WITH VAT:
- These items will have two prices visible: with and without the tax.
- If you are buying in the UK/EU you will receive an invoice showing the tax component.
- If you are buying these items outside the EU when you get to the check out and enter your shipping location you will be charged the ex-VAT price.
- VAT-free sales are also possible to businesses within the EU with a valid VAT number. You will need to contact us in order to buy via this means.
ITEMS WITHOUT VAT:
- Much of what we sell is classified as "Second Hand Goods" and so while we still pay some tax, there is no recoverable/deductible component for sales to any part of the world.
- So, the price you see is the price you pay wherever you are.
- Shipping charges are also subject to VAT at 20% within the UK/EU - this is included within the prices you see for shipping to those areas - it is not shown separately in the cart but will be shown on the VAT invoice you receive with your goods.
WE OFFER FREE SHIPPING TO THE UK! There are some exclusions for distant areas and islands (see below), and also some occasional exclusions for very large/heavy/valuable items which will be clearly noted in the item descriptions.
IMPORTANT! BUYING MORE THAN ONE ITEM FROM OUTSIDE OF THE UK?
- You will need a bespoke shipping quote!
- Our shipping calculator on here won't give you the right figure (and may well not give you one at all).
- Please get in touch via the contact page and we can give an accurate shipping figure for multiple items.
- If it is outside office hours and you are concerned about missing a piece of gear then buy it at the quoted shipping rate, send us a message saying what else it is you want to add, and we will deal with the discount once we are back on email.
- You can do this with absolute confidence that we will give you a full refund if the final shipping quote is doesn't work for you.
We are very experienced at packing and shipping valuable and sensitive gear worldwide - Binson Echorecs, large valve amps, vintage synths - you name it, we've sent it and it's arrived in one piece. Obviously from time to time with vintage items there are times when gear arrives in need of some adjustment or calibration, and some times a piece of gear that was working 100% just chooses the day after arriving for a new fault to develop - however, we are also very experienced at dealing with these occurences and will always work with you to solve the problem
The shipping prices for our gear vary considerably depending on the type of gear, value and destination. Currently the only way for you to see shipping is to put the item you are interested in the cart and then either use the shipping estimator or go into the check out process. Or just contact us and we'll tell you what you need to know.
Also note that we have have not entered automatic shipping for every country. The countries we ship to most often will have shipping rates and we are in the process of adding more shipping fees to the check out process. But if you are looking at an item that doesn't have the fee information you need then please use the contact page or call on 07543 855788.
If you are considering a purchase and want to check you have our best rate then please always contact us direct and we will give you an exact figure.
Also note that for some items we are able to discount shipping to North America - continental USA and Canada. The fees you see at check out will take this discount into account. But if you have a question... you know what to do.
WHO DO WE USE?
We use Royal Mail, UPS and DPD/Interlink - it depends on the item and destination as to which is the most economical. If you have a preference then we should be able to accommodate it (but we may need to pass on any additional costs).
EXCLUSIONS TO FREE UK SHIPPING:
We are not able to ship free to some of the UK islands (e.g. Channel Islands) and also to some of the further reaches of Scotland. If you think you might be in one of those area and want an accurate shipping quote before you buy then please get in touch.
There are also some items which we cannot offer free shipping on to the UK. These will be clearly noted in the description.