I fully expected to be blown away by this 1965 Supro Model 24 and it didn't disappoint.
Made by Valco in the USA, it was reputedly this Supro model that Jimmy Page used on early Zep recordings. I plugged my Tele in and... Oh boy: another amp I don’t want to let go of. It didn’t make me play like Jimmy Page, but it did put a big smile on my face and it’s been in our studio ever since.
Essentially the same amp as a Valco/Supro 1624T, this is a stunning recording amp - sounds amazing with harmonica as well as guitar - sing through your harp mic with the tremolo on and you’re in classic Zep territory. I'm talking myself out of selling it again as I write this listing...
This amp comes from Mike Crossey’s studio collection and has some pedigree (see below).
See detailed photos below to assess condition - it was re-covered in 2004 to a very high standard (details in Mike Crossey’s comments below) - the handle is not original, but the internals are all as they should be. The amp is as it came to us.
It is of course a USA 110v mains unit so will require a step-down transformer for UK/EU use. We can supply high quality UK made transformers if required.
Mike Crossey had this to say about the amp:
The right collector will love this, they rarely come up for sale, especially in this condition.
This amp was used on recordings by: The 1975, Wolf Alice, Tribes, Razorlight (I'm pretty sure Mark Ronson used the model 24 on "bicycle song' but I was not in the session).
I have the information the seller I bought it from gave me - "This is a hand-wired point-to-point all-tube Supro amp manufactured by Valco Mfg. Co. in early-mid 1965. The serial number on the silver foil sticker is 1-13097.
The power transformer dates to the 6th week of 1965, the output transformer dates to the 5th week of 1965, and the Valco-stamped Jensen C12R speaker dates to the 8th week of 1965.
Based on the Supro amp catalogs, this is rated at 17 watts RMS power into the 8 ohm Jensen speaker. The Jensen speaker codes are 220508 550-29 C12R, C7373-2. Officially, this is Supro Model Number S6524 ( The model number "24" issued for model year "65" ).
This is essentially the same amp and circuit as the Supro model 1624T from 1959 through 1962. All that was changed from the 1624T was a longer chassis, the addition of a separate tone knob for each channel, a larger, open-backed cabinet ( For more volume and woody TONE ), and the model number was shortened from 1624 to "Model 24.”
All of the "24" model amps from 1959-1967 share the same basic circuits and tube compliment ( 3 - 12ax7's, a pair of 6973 power tubes and a 5Y3GT rectifier tube ).
The cabinet dimensions are 23.75" wide, 16.5" high and 8" deep.
This amp is amazingly clean and the circuit has not been altered. The original grillecloth is excellent-plus... No holes, tears or water stains. The amp cabinet was re-covered in 2004 by Pete Mather, who at the time was building amp cabinets for Carr amps, Mojave' and Heritage amps in Nashville. Pete does impeccable work and the tolex here reflects it. The original tolex wasn't beat up. The tolex, white stripe and Marshall-style handle are NEW and perfect. The chrome control panel has a few "Sunspots" but it's very clean with a lot of shine and the lettering is 100% present and totally legible. The original Jensen speaker is extremely clean... No scratches, dings or rust”
Some of our gear will have VAT at 20% added in the UK/EU, but a lot of it won't. This should hopefully clarify the situation but if you have any questions then please get in touch.
ITEMS WITH VAT:
- These items will have two prices visible: with and without the tax.
- If you are buying in the UK/EU you will receive an invoice showing the tax component.
- If you are buying these items outside the EU when you get to the check out and enter your shipping location you will be charged the ex-VAT price.
- VAT-free sales are also possible to businesses within the EU with a valid VAT number. You will need to contact us in order to buy via this means.
ITEMS WITHOUT VAT:
- Much of what we sell is classified as "Second Hand Goods" and so while we still pay some tax, there is no recoverable/deductible component for sales to any part of the world.
- So, the price you see is the price you pay wherever you are.
- Shipping charges are also subject to VAT at 20% within the UK/EU - this is included within the prices you see for shipping to those areas - it is not shown separately in the cart but will be shown on the VAT invoice you receive with your goods.
WE OFFER FREE SHIPPING TO THE UK! There are some exclusions for distant areas and islands (see below), and also some occasional exclusions for very large/heavy/valuable items which will be clearly noted in the item descriptions.
IMPORTANT! BUYING MORE THAN ONE ITEM FROM OUTSIDE OF THE UK?
- You will need a bespoke shipping quote!
- Our shipping calculator on here won't give you the right figure (and may well not give you one at all).
- Please get in touch via the contact page and we can give an accurate shipping figure for multiple items.
- If it is outside office hours and you are concerned about missing a piece of gear then buy it at the quoted shipping rate, send us a message saying what else it is you want to add, and we will deal with the discount once we are back on email.
- You can do this with absolute confidence that we will give you a full refund if the final shipping quote is doesn't work for you.
We are very experienced at packing and shipping valuable and sensitive gear worldwide - Binson Echorecs, large valve amps, vintage synths - you name it, we've sent it and it's arrived in one piece. Obviously from time to time with vintage items there are times when gear arrives in need of some adjustment or calibration, and some times a piece of gear that was working 100% just chooses the day after arriving for a new fault to develop - however, we are also very experienced at dealing with these occurences and will always work with you to solve the problem
The shipping prices for our gear vary considerably depending on the type of gear, value and destination. Currently the only way for you to see shipping is to put the item you are interested in the cart and then either use the shipping estimator or go into the check out process. Or just contact us and we'll tell you what you need to know.
Also note that we have have not entered automatic shipping for every country. The countries we ship to most often will have shipping rates and we are in the process of adding more shipping fees to the check out process. But if you are looking at an item that doesn't have the fee information you need then please use the contact page or call on 07543 855788.
If you are considering a purchase and want to check you have our best rate then please always contact us direct and we will give you an exact figure.
Also note that for some items we are able to discount shipping to North America - continental USA and Canada. The fees you see at check out will take this discount into account. But if you have a question... you know what to do.
WHO DO WE USE?
We use Royal Mail, UPS and DPD/Interlink - it depends on the item and destination as to which is the most economical. If you have a preference then we should be able to accommodate it (but we may need to pass on any additional costs).
EXCLUSIONS TO FREE UK SHIPPING:
We are not able to ship free to some of the UK islands (e.g. Channel Islands) and also to some of the further reaches of Scotland. If you think you might be in one of those area and want an accurate shipping quote before you buy then please get in touch.
There are also some items which we cannot offer free shipping on to the UK. These will be clearly noted in the description.