We buy gear outright, but can also sell on commission or act as a broker on your behalf.
If you want to sell your gear to us and release the value quickly then head to our Gear Wanted page. Otherwise read on…
Let us take the hassle out of selling your vintage (and less-vintage) gear and leave you free to concentrate on what you do best. We can deal with all aspects of selling on your behalf – from collection through to final payment – taking care of cleaning, servicing (by prior arrangement only – see note below), payment, packing and shipping along the way.
With many years in business we achieve good prices worldwide via our multiple sales channels (personal contact, Soundgas list/website, social media and our stores on other sites).
Payments are held in escrow in a separate client account for buyer and seller protection, and we can tailor our service to your exact requirements; whether you want absolute discretion or maximum publicity, Soundgas can deliver.
— Why not take a look round the studio or store room for items gathering dust and let us turn them into cash, or credit to spend with us in the future.
— Note that, unless part of a collection, we do not usually handle items valued at less than £2500 on commission or £5000 for brokerage
Some basic info about our service:
(Full terms & conditions below.)
Where possible we prefer to sell on consignment – that means if we are selling on your behalf, we must hold the item here. We need to test, clean, photograph, pack and send the gear we sell, and do so to our high standards – our reputation rests on this. If a problem arises post-sale, we need to be able to deal with it quickly. Our buyers expect nothing less, and we achieve excellent results via our consignment service.
For some items brokering the sale remotely may be possible, or indeed the only option if the item is large and/or located outside of the UK. We have been getting good results with this as well, but we can only do it where the equipment is in full working order, coming from a trusted source or established studio. To discuss brokerage in detail get in touch.
For consignment, please check gear thoroughly before sending. Some consignment items have arrived in need of servicing (without prior arrangement); our techs are fully-booked and we have little capacity for extra work. If an item is found to require work on arrival, we reserve the right to either sell for a lower amount, or charge a handling fee for return.
You can start now: please contact us via this handy form with a list of what you have available (preferably with photos and/or condition description). This service is open to customers worldwide.
Rates for high value items and collections are negotiable.
Depending on the item and the customer’s valuation, we may charge a non-refundable listing fee. This is deducted from our final commission charge once the item sells (see below for more info).
Please get in touch for our rates and full details.
SOUNDGAS COMMISSION, BROKERAGE & CONSIGNMENT SALES – TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- These T&Cs constitute the basis of our agreement, but are subject to change and are not exhaustive. We ask that you abide by the spirit of our arrangement and much prefer a “gentlemen’s” agreement to pages of exact legal terms.
- We can deal with all aspects of selling on your behalf – from collection through to final payment – taking care of cleaning, servicing (by prior arrangement only – see note below), payment, packing and shipping along the way. With many years in business we achieve good prices worldwide via multiple sales channels (personal contact, the Soundgas list and website, Ebay, Reverb, and various social media profiles).
- As a rule, we sell on consignment – that means if we are selling on your behalf, we must hold the item here. We need to test, clean, service (if pre-arranged), photograph, pack and send the gear we sell, and do so to our high standards – our reputation rests on this. If a problem arises post-sale, we need to be able to identify and deal with it quickly. Our buyers expect nothing less, and you will achieve a better result.
- If consignment is not feasible for any reason, we may elect to act as broker – in this case the seller assumes all responsibility for testing and documenting the item for sale, and for shipping the item to the buyer in a suitable and timely fashion. If a sale is lost due to the seller neglecting any of these duties, we reserve the right to charge a fee to cover our time.
- Our commission and brokerage terms are strictly on an exclusive basis unless by prior arrangement – the seller agrees not to advertise or attempt to sell items listed with us elsewhere without giving us prior notice – please note that the £150 listing fee is non-refundable.
- Please check gear for faults thoroughly before sending and be transparent in your description -always advise us if any work is required as this may affect our commission rate and our decision about handling the sale. It serves no-one if we overreach ourselves and cannot offer an efficient service. Our techs are consistently booked-up in advance and any spare capacity we may have is required for unforeseen and emergency repairs.
- We will consider selling items that require work, but this is at our discretion and may incur a surcharge or higher commission rate to reflect the extra handling.
- If for any reason an item arrives requiring work before sale and without our prior knowledge, we will request that the item either be offered for sale at a discount, or be returned to the sender – a handling fee will be charged (see below).
- We accept no responsibility for damage incurred in transit in any circumstances, even when we have arranged the collection – it is up to the sender to ensure items are adequately-packed for shipping. The admin time required to deal with shipping insurance claims is prohibitive: it is better to spend time and money on good packing than insurance. Packing guidance is available on request.
- In some cases (brokerage or consignment), depending on the item and the customer’s valuation, we will charge a £150 non-refundable listing fee per item. This fee is then deducted from our commission when the item sells – so you only actually pay the fee if you agree to our selling your gear and then subsequently take it back for some reason. This fee is payable before your gear ships to us. Being clear and certain about how it is functioning before sending is crucial (and also being clear that really want to part with it!).
- Our standard rate for consignment sales is 20% of sale price plus VAT. The commission rate is negotiable for higher value individual items and collections, and also for outsize items. Our standard brokerage rate is 10% plus vat. Our minimum fee is usually £500, though this is open to negotiation for lower value pieces we particularly like…
- Sale price is the gross price received. We deduct sales channel and payment fees (Ebay/Paypal etc) if applicable, the cost of any service work carried out and any shipping costs. We don’t charge extra handling/packing fees unless an item has required service work without prior arrangement. We reserve the right to carry out repairs and service work to a value of 10% without first seeking the seller’s permission if we deem that this is necessary to achieve the best sale result.
- We hold payments in our separate client account for a minimum of 14 days after confirmation of receipt by the customer to allow for any returns under EU legislation (and our standard warranty terms). We aim to settle accounts within 14 days thereafter, however note that for some sales (e.g. through ebay) it may be necessary to wait for the full 30 days right of return offered by the selling channel.