The OB-6® is a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between the two most influential designers in poly synth history, Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim.
Two Legends. One Instrument
The OB-6 takes the classic bold Tom Oberheim sound — with its true voltage-controlled oscillators, 2-pole filter, and amplifiers — and adds modern enhancements such as studio-quality effects, a polyphonic step sequencer, an arpeggiator, and more. No other modern analog poly synth can boast such a pedigree or such a massive, in-your-face sonic signature.
Vintage SEM Tone
The OB-6 sound engine is inspired by Tom’s original SEM, the core of his acclaimed 4-voice and 8- voice synthesizers. It features two discrete voltage-controlled oscillators (plus sub-oscillator) per voice with continuously variable waveshapes (sawtooth and variable-width pulse, plus a triangle wave on oscillator 2). The classic Oberheim-inspired 2-pole, state-variable, resonant filter provides low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, and notch functionality. Voltage-controlled amplifiers complete the all-analog signal path.
The dual effects section provides studio-quality reverbs, delays (standard and BBD), chorus, flangers, and faithful recreations of Tom’s original phase shifter and ring modulator. While the effects themselves are digital, with 24-bit, 48 kHz resolution, a true bypass maintains a full analog signal path.
X-Mod and Poly Step Sequencing
Also present is X-Mod, which expands the tonal palette and makes it easy to create dramatic and unconventional sounds. Modulation sources are filter envelope and oscillator 2, both with bi-polar control. Destinations include oscillator 1 frequency, oscillator 1 shape, scillator 1 pulse width, filter cutoff, and filter mode. The polyphonic step sequencer allows up to 64 steps and up to 6 notes per step. You can create sequences polyphonically, with rests, and sync to an external MIDI clock. The full-featured arpeggiator can be synced to external MIDI clock as well. Unison mode features configurable voice count (1-6 voices), chord memory, and key modes.
Easy to Program
The knob-per-function front panel puts virtually all OB-6 functions at your fingertips. Included are 500 permanent factory programs and 500 rewritable user programs. Turning on the Manual button enables live panel mode, in which the sound of the OB-6 switches to its current front panel settings. In this state, what you see is what you hear.
Easy to Play
This analog powerhouse is packed into a four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch, making it perfect for stage or studio.
• Two discrete VCOs per voice
• Continuously variable wave shape (sawtooth and variable-width pulse, plus triangle on
oscillator 2) per oscillator
• Pulse width per oscillator
• Hard sync: oscillator 1 syncs to oscillator 2
• Square wave sub-octave generator (oscillator 1) per voice
• Low frequency mode (oscillator 2)
• Keyboard tracking on/off (oscillator 2)
• Oscillator detune amount for increased tuning instability, from subtle to extreme
• Oscillator 1 amount
• Oscillator 1 sub-octave amount
• Oscillator 2 amount
• White noise amount
• Two-pole, resonant, filter per voice with low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, and notch
functionality inspired by the original Oberheim SEM filter
• Bi-polar filter envelope amount
• Velocity modulation of envelope amount
• Keyboard tracking: off, half, full
• Four-stage (ADSR) envelope generator
• Velocity modulation of envelope amount
• Four-stage (ADSR) envelope generator
• Velocity modulation of envelope amount
LOW FREQUENCY OSCILLATOR
• Five wave shapes: sine, sawtooth, reverse sawtooth, square, and random (sample and
• Clock sync (internal or external MIDI clock)
• Initial amount
• Mod destinations: oscillator 1 frequency, oscillator 2 frequency, oscillator 1 and 2 pulse
width, filter cutoff, filter mode, amp
• Sources: filter envelope (bi-polar) and oscillator 2 (bi-polar)
• Destinations: oscillator 1 frequency, oscillator 1 shape, oscillator 1 pulse width, filter
cutoff, filter mode, normal to bandpass filter
• Source: channel (mono) aftertouch with bi-polar amount
• Destinations: oscillator 1 frequency, oscillator 2 frequency, LFO amount, amplifier
envelope amount, filter envelope amount, filter mode
• Master clock with tap tempo
• BPM control and display
• MIDI clock sync
• Selectable note value: 16th note, 8th note triplet, 8th note, dotted 8th note, quarter note
• One, two, or three octave range
• Up, down, up/down, random, and assign modes
• Polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps and rests
• Stereo analog distortion
• Dual, 24-bit, 48 kHz digital effects, including: reverb (room, hall, plate, spring), delay (full
bandwidth digital delay and emulated bucket brigade), chorus, flanger, phase shifters,
and ring modulator
• Delay sync
• True bypass maintains fully analog signal path when digital effects are off
• Full-sized, semi-weighted, 4-octave keyboard with velocity and aftertouch
• Backlit pitch and mod wheels
• Spring-loaded pitch wheel with selectable range per program (1 to 12 semitones up and
• Transpose controls for an 8-octave range
• Hold switch latches held notes on
• Polyphonic portamento
• Unison (monophonic) mode with configurable voice count, from one to all six voices,
chord memory, and key modes
• Manual switch: when on, the front panel is live; what you see is what you hear
• 500 user and 500 factory programs in 10 banks of 100 programs each
• Direct program access, including single-button access to the current set of 10 programs
• Left/mono and right audio outputs (2 x 1/4” phone jack)
• Headphone output (stereo, 1/4” phone jack)
• MIDI in, out, and thru ports
• USB for bidirectional MIDI communication
• Filter cutoff expression pedal input
• Volume expression pedal input
• Sustain footswitch input
• Sequencer start/stop footswitch input
• IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
• Operates worldwide on voltages between 100 and 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hz; 30 watts
maximum power consumption
• 31.8” L x 12.7” W x 4.6′′ H (80.7 cm x 32.3 cm x 11.7 cm)
• 20 lbs (9.5 kg)
For sales in UK the price will include 20% VAT. Buyers elsewhere may incur VAT or other local taxes on import.
Switchable voltage for use anywhere in the world.
"Soundgas has an unbelievable selection of the cool, old stuff that’s hard to find. Tony knows his stuff and goes out of his way to make sure the transaction is a smooth one. Thanks guys!"
“I have bought two Moog synths from Soundgas over the past year, and I cannot say enough wonderful things about their selection of vintage products, the level of service, diligent responses to email, and expedient shipping with copious protective packaging. Soundgas is an impressive operation. My synths also sound amazing! These folks have made my vintage keyboard dreams come true in short order!”
"DREAM. COME. TRUE. My music has taken me around the world a few times...and if you are like me and absolutely adore vintage gear...Soundgas is the stuff of LEGENDS. It's the shop that people like us search for our whole lives- fantastic and rare selections, and the technical know-how to repair and or mod these vintage items to get them into shape to flow with your modern setup."
Just wanted to say thank you so much for your pinch roller and echo tape. I've had a space echo for years, been sent to a shop in NYC and it never worked quite right. After installing the roller and tape, my echo works like a dream. Really incredible expertise you all have! Thank you.
“If you are a vintage audio gear head then this is the place you have been looking for all your life. Pretty much any piece of classic or obscure kit that you are after is available here... But the clincher for me is that the gear they sell has been restored by their top techs (unless otherwise noted) which is really very important when dealing with, for example, synths from 30 years ago.”
“I purchased a completely overhauled vintage valve Binson Echorec 2 T7E modified with varispeed, wet-only output, and a new paint job from Soundgas in early 2018. Tony and his team did an amazing job during every step of the purchase”
"Just received my Roland RS 505 Paraphonic! Thanks so much - arrived very promptly, well packaged, in great condition and sounds amazing! Best seller."
"The packing job to get it over to the US was superb, and the sound and performance of my Space Echo exceeds all of my expectations. I hope to do business with Soundgas again in the future. Many thanks!”
“The perfect place to hear, learn about and then buy your most wanted piece of vintage music gear! I've not only managed to buy a rare piece of equipment I really wanted, but I have the guarantee it's been serviced, and I got it from people who are clearly passionate and knowledgeable about what they do, as well as super friendly and responsive by email. Thoroughly recommended!”
“The Space Echo made its way to me - it looks and sounds beyond dreams, thanks guys for your great service and communication.”
"Yes, sure, you can find a Space Echo on eBay, but you won’t find one like this — that’s certain. I am so pleased with my decision to buy from Soundgas, and suggest you stop your search now and just send them a message. You will undoubtedly find yourself writing an ecstatic review about yours in short time."
I have been buying vintage stuff for a long time from resellers/stores/techs. I've never been so surprised and pleased after opening! Just received a Roland RE-201 and VX55 mixer, they look and sound amazing! Thanks to Tony/Declan for the service and the Soundgas team will be back!
"When you are spending big money of vintage gear it's nice to have the confidence of impeccable service, sales and support... some of the best in the industry! Impeccable people, incredible equipment… my poor poor fiancé"
“Imagine the perfect eBay.... with everything you never knew you wanted… and you can rest assured that your vintage and rare wobbly sound device will turn up on time and in one piece and possibly in even better condition that when it left the workshop. Soundgas - literally amazing."
"Packed with love and care. A stampede couldn't have crushed this thing. Works great and sounds like a dream. I love you Soundgas."
As good as it gets. Tony, Dec and team have been incredible, prompt communication, great advice and outstanding service. It really felt like my Polysix came from a loving home.
“If not a new language, then at least a very challenging, old dialect that will take me some time to assimilate. I’ve been waiting a long time for the challenge. Thank you @soundgasltd, she’s a beaut...and nobody prepares and packs like you fine folks.”
"Soundgas provided the absolutely top service in terms of item quality as well as service and communication. Shipping was fast, packing was top notch. These people deserve the best reputation they already have. Many many thanks, guys."
Purchased a Juno-60 and it works beautifully. Having gotten one teched before, I knew it was worth paying a premium to get it future proofed and Soundgas does just that. Shipped professionally from the UK to USA. Appreciate their expertise and professional demeanor!
Grabbed a Roland RE-201 (early edition killer pre-amp) and Roland DC-50. Absolutely STUNNING. These guys truly live up to the hype. They are meticulous in caring for the gear. Also, I have a few guitar pedal and plug-in emulations of tape-echo sounds and after plugging in the real unit I can't tell you how insane the difference is. It is incredible. Especially that tone from the early pre-amp! I am totally amazed. I am in heaven :) They made it safely to Nashville from the UK and were packed really really well! Thank you so much!! Worth every penny.
Fantastic. From initial contact to the product landing at my door the service provided was outstanding. Safe and secure shipping, quality serviced product.
“I’ve bought a number of items from Soundgas recently, and have been really impressed with their service. It takes the stress out of buying vintage gear to know it’s been properly (and faithfully) serviced or restored. Their after-sales service has also been exemplary. Highly recommended.”
"Excellent equipment, wonderful service. I fully recommend Soundgas to anyone in the vintage gear market and I will definitely be a return customer. The gear itself was exactly as advertised and in great condition."
"808 is up and running. It’s hard to stop playing it. Like even to eat. Extending testing is quality control and the quality of your stuff combined with customer service is one of the reasons Soundgas is so successful in my opinion."
"Finally, a company that tracks down all those brilliant curiosities that bring so much character and personality to a studio."
"Engaging with old gear can sometimes be filled with a lot of uncertainty, and I can't imagine what more could be done to reduce this aspect of it on top of the service you provide. Really phenomenal and I couldn't be happier."
"Still in shock! Can not believe how good the seller is. This product was inspected, and shipped from the UK to the USA quicker than orders from my home state. Highly recommend these guys."
"Soundgas offer a great service, sourcing esoteric gear that works great."
In which our intrepid explorer stumbles across a pair of CS-80s in a barn deep in the Midlands. Find out more and see photos before they...
PUBLISHED: 25th Nov 2022
Our report on Soundgas' return to this excellent show: what we did, who we met, what drew the crowds, and some of the things that piqued...
PUBLISHED: 11th Oct 2022
We stand behind our gear with a guarantee of your satisfaction - see the FAQ section above for full details and buy with complete confidence.
When buying more than one item you only pay the shipping on the item with the highest shipping cost. Calculated automatically at checkout.
Get in touch via the contact page. We know & love our gear and we want to ensure you get something that matches your needs (that, and we just like talking gear).